Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

String Quilts, they never get old


I ALWAYS have strings hanging around at my house.  You know, those thin little scraps you trim off of a finished quilt, or the end of a strip you are cutting for another project. I even have a cute little basket to collect them in.  It is always running over.  Here is a real life picture of it.



  I love this basket, so many possibilities...

About a year ago, I was working on a bright and happy string quilt for myself. I thought it would be anything goes, but as I started to play I realized that I didn't want to include any pastels, browns or primary novelties and not too much orange or purple.

As I pulled out those strings, I sorted them and made a couple of piles to use later, pastels, primary/boy themed and brown/orange and blues.  I just stuck them in ziplocs and every once in a while when I had a bunch I would take them out and sew a few string blocks.  A few weeks ago, I realized that I had enough to whip up a few little comfort quilts.

One from the brown, orange and blue strings.


 
Look closely and you will find cowboys, whales, boats, mice, airplanes and more.

I quilted it with some simple straight-ish lines.


I had a little oops while quilting and popped a seam.  No problem, I appliqued a little boat from the fabric I used on the back.  Problem solved and made even cuter.


And the sweet backing fabric.


Quilt number 2 from the primary and boy novelty fabrics.


Superheros, Star Wars, trucks, dinosaurs, baseballs, bugs....  So much to find in this quilt!

A very kind new longarmer wanted to try out her new machine and offered to quilt a few quilts for free, so I jumped at the offer!  She did a great job.   She even copied the pattern from the backing fabric in the sashing of the quilt.  So cute.


And here is the back of the quilt.


These are my April comfort quilts.  I am super excited to donate these because I know that boy quilts are harder to come by.  Girl fabrics are just so much more abundant.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Tracy

24 comments:

  1. I love scrappy string block quilts. I never tire of seeing pictures of string quilts. Some little boys will LOVE them. Especially with all those novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these quilts will be greatly appreciated and well loved. What a great use of your scraps, Tracy! And a clever way to take care of that popped seam. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Super fun quilt and all from scraps, I find that amazing! I have a large basket of scraps, I am going to have to work on that basket this summer. These are going to keep someone happy with some eye spy. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOTH quilts are awesome, but that brown, orange, and blue one really speaks to me. Some lucky someone is going to LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you. Scrappy String Quilts are da'Bomb! Both are fabulous and I love the clever recovery/cover up with the sailboat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt! I love the color scheme, and great idea for covering that popped seam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I like that idea of keeping certain colours separate and sewing them up as the bag gets full...I'll be sorting my strings tomorrow I think so I can get started on that! Your quilts look great and so effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping them separated somehow makes it more fun and keeps me motivated!

      Delete
  8. Love your string quilts. Good to the last thread lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your string quilts turned out so wonderful. I never met a string quilt I didn't like but yours are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you love the quilting! It was fun to do that ribbon wiggle in the dashing!
    :) www.handmade3d.me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you donate yours? I just cleaned my sewing room and set aside a few quilts to donate and I'm thinking through my options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I donate to the county foster care system. Those poor kiddos need something snuggly to hold onto.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the job of being your fabric quilt.The design of your quilt is very good. Which looks more beautiful with colors.To get more design in weaveron textile click on this link....:http://www.weaveron.com/

    ReplyDelete