A few years back I made a little lap sized quilt for my nephew Evan. It was a sweet little baseball-themed quilt featuring adorable little baseball players, because Evan LOVES baseball. Flash forward a few years and that quilt is starting to feel a little "babyish" for this now 3rd grader. His mom asked me if I could make a new quilt that would fit on his bunk bed and still have the same red, white and blue baseball theme, but without the cute little players. In other words, something a little more grown up. So, I found a few baseball themed prints, added a few new fabrics from the Varsity line and pulled a few classics from my stash and got started.
I decided to keep it simple with simple patchwork and a few random stars for interest. I cut up a bunch of 5 inch squares and started playing with a layout.
I threw in a few plain white squares where I wanted my stars to go.
And then I started to build the stars.
I pieced each row and pressed the seams in opposite directions. Then sewed and pressed pairs of rows together as I went. (With 3 boys of my own in the house, I am usually pretty motivated to get this step done quickly so that the pieces don't end up run over or blown all over the house. Ha!)
Ta-dah! Top done.
Today I will be machine quilting 1/4 inch from each seam vertically and horizontally. Then I will be hand stitching inside of each star with chunky red thread to mimic the stitches on a baseball. I am really excited to see how that turns out.
I have quite a few pieces of fabric left over, so I will be using those for my October comfort quilt.
I am also working on this adorable reindeer quilt from the Moda Bake Shop. My goal is to have this one pieced together by tomorrow, so I can get it up off the floor quickly. :)
Thanks for stopping by!