Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Stash Bee

Happy New Year!

Lucky me, I get to start the year as Queen Bee for my Hive in the Stash Bee.  Which means that I get to pick the block.  Yay!!

Here is my write up for our Hive:


I am so in love with my quilt from last year's Bee,  (It is at the long-armers now, so I will be able to share it soon), that I wanted to pick something for this year that would be just as special. I love taking traditional blocks and playing around with them, and I LOVE scrap quilts!

So, I started out with a traditional bear paw block.


Then decided to take out the sashing.


Then tried flipping the paws around.


Then I thought that if I was going to break it apart, it should be scrappy, of course!


Winner! Winner!

To make things easier on you, I am going to have you make all 4 quadrants in the same fabrics just like I did, but ask you NOT to sew them together.  That way I can mix them all up when they get here and make it super scrappy!

Now on to colors!

I have chosen a color palette based on that gorgeous Les Fleurs fabric.  So dreamy.

Navy, shades of cornflower blue, shades of peachy pink and a hint of gold.
Here are some thread colors to help.


And a few bolts I pulled as examples. As far as fabric, pretty much anything is fair game.  I love dots, plaids, stripes, florals and even novelty - just no batiks please.


Now on to the tutorial:

You will need 3 different fabrics.

From fabric 1 - cut (4) 5 1/2 inch blocks
From fabric 2 - cut (8) 3 1/2 inch blocks
From fabric 3 - cut (8) 3 1/2 inch blocks and
                          cut (4) 3 inch block


Choose the lighter set of your 3 1/2 inch blocks and draw a diagonal line on the back of each.


Pair them up with the darker set, right sides together and sew 1/4 inch on each side of your drawn lines.


Cut on the drawn lines and press to the darker side.  You should have 16 HSTs.  Trim to 3 inches.


Lay out your 4 quadrants as shown. I stack them together so that I can chain piece.


Sew together.


Easy Peasy!!
You should have (4) 8" square sections.  Remember you do NOT need to sew them together.  That way, I can play around with the settings and mix them all up.





I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Tracy

3 comments:

  1. very cool, I love the colors you chose they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blog comment and I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កាស៊ីណូ

    ReplyDelete