Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Avant Garden part 2

I started working on those Avant Garden leftovers this week.  My original vision was to use Camille Roskelley's pattern Sweet Life from her Simply Retro book.  I thought it would show off some of the large patterned fabrics great.  But... her pattern calls for 12 1/2 inch squares and my leftovers were only 10 inches.  So after a little math magic (who says you won't use math after school?!), I reworked the pattern to create a slightly smaller version!  I also adjusted the directions to make "no-waste" flying geese so that I could use up every piece of my fabric.  Yay for no waste!!

Originally I was going to use a cream background with a brown/cream sashing.  But, this sat for a week before I started and when I did start it was late one night after putting the kids to bed.
Result - I started cutting into my go-to white and piecing.  I was 3 blocks in before I remembered that I wanted to use cream.  Boo.  Unpick and try to redo? No.  I didn't want to risk stretching those seams. Oh well.  Maybe a cream for sashing?  We'll see..


I was super excited to get that last black pieced yesterday and couldn't wait to get it spread out on the floor!


Oops!  One short. Back to the machine one more time.



That's better!

 

I tested out a cream as sashing last night.  I'm not liking it.  Not enough contrast.  I'll play some more today...

Thnaks for stopping by!

Tracy

4 comments:

  1. Wow... this is looking great! The white backgrounds certainly make all the other colours pop! Good luck with your audtioning for the sashing, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! The white is quite nice. Does it really need a sashing? Maybe a black or navy if you want one? I'm sure it will be great either way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great! I agree with Mari... Does it really need sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bold blocks with big prints!

    ReplyDelete